Leeds board shocked to hear Brian had been sacked
Leeds United director Salem Patel says he was as shocked as anyone when he heard the news on Friday night that Brian McDermott had been sacked.
Patel was speaking to BBC Radio Leeds on Sunday after confusion has reigned around Elland Road since Friday night, when it was first reported that McDermott had been sacked.
Speaking to BBC Radio Leeds, Patel said, "My wife was reading twitter and she told me the news that Brian had been sacked. I was shocked, as a board member I thought I would be privy to that information if it was going to happen.
"I spoke to the chairman (Salah Nooruddin) and he was also surprised. I then got hold of David (Haigh), we asked him to return to Leeds immediately and establish what had happened.
"I was the first person from GFH Capital to call Brian t find out what had happened and I told him that it was not something that was authorised by us.
"As soon as we found out the news, we reacted."
Prospective new owner Massimo Cellino is believed to be the man who sanctioned the sacking of McDermott, but with the Italian not yet owner of the club; he had no authority to sack the Leeds boss.
News first broke on Saturday lunchtime that current owners GFH Capital wanted to reinstate McDermott and they published a statement shortly after the 5-1 win against Huddersfield Town on Saturday, a game that McDermott was not present.
Patel felt after all that had gone on, it was unfair to ask McDermott to return to the bench so soon after what had happened. "We thought after what had happened, we felt it was unfair to ask Brian to take the team on the day, although it was him team. We felt it was better that he took time out.
"We want Brian back and we want him managing the club again and we expect him to be back at work on Monday."
It is still unclear whether McDermott will return to Elland Road today and he is believed to be liaising with the LMA (League Managers Association), as to what to do next.